On 22/03/2010 11:33:28, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> In switching to a new make file for a personal project I have run into
> the problem of under the old makefile everything works (web site) and
> under the new one it does not... when manually looking at the two dirs
> they appear identical in layout, sizes and perms (dir and file level)
> but I want to make sure... is there any way to compare two diff dirs and
> see if they only differ in date stamps? (note since there are several
> developers working on this project I need to compare even if the owners
> are diff)

Something like:

    rsync -nva old-dir/ new-dir/

Should tell you about any files where there is a difference either in
contents or in meta-data between the two directories.  Unfortunately, it
doesn't tell you exactly what the difference is, so you'll have to use
ls(1) etc. to examine the files it highlights in more detail.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW