--On Friday, March 19, 2010 19:02:45 -0400 Greg Larkin <glar...@freebsd.org> wrote:

Here's something else that I've found really useful as a port creator,
maintainer and troubleshooter.  If I want to make some additional
changes to a source file that is patched by a file stored in
files/patch-...., I'll do this:

make patch          # extracts source and patches files
cd work/foobar/...
# Now make additional edits in patched file, leaving the
# .orig file alone
cd ../back/to/port/directory
make makepatch

The makepatch target recurses through the work/foobar directory and
creates diffs for all file.ext/file.ext.orig pairs.  It writes them to
the files/ directory with the patch- prefix on each so the patch target
processes them.

The only thing to watch out for here, is that makepatch has its own file
naming convention that doesn't always mirror the port creator's.  For
instance, some ports have patch files named "patch-aa", "patch-ab", etc.
 The makepatch target will recreate them with filenames based on the
directory and filename of the file to be patched during the build.

Hope that helps,

Man, does it ever.  Thanks for that.

Which brings me to an obvious question. Where can I go to find out what all of the make targets are? Is it in /usr/ports/Mk/?

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst