On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:00:05AM +0700, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> > for reasons that are beyond me,  a few hours ago i stopped being able to
> > connect with my mail server.   mutt tells me "(connection refused)";
> > the other GUI mailer say zip; they simply do not connect.
> >
> > i rebooted my HUB among other things; before that, i could not get outside
> > my
> > network; nor could i even get to ethic [my Server].  since the only thing i
> > did was powercycle my linksys hub, i figure that did it.
> >
> > right now i am continuing the portupgrade on my mail/web/dns server in
> > the hopes that when that is done, mail will work again.  if not, what else
> > could it be?  directories/files/links i need to check/?
>
> It seems the reboot of your Linksys switch helped some how.

        yes; and it seems likely that the reason ii could not get to
        my email was that {for unknown reasons} my dovecot has failed
        to initialize.

        note that i did not configure my new setup like this.  now i
        have one mail server and dovecot is used to distribute mail
        to my other unix servers.  i barely understand sendmail; i
        do NOT understand dovecot... .

> Before portupgrading randomly this or that application, you should try
> to understand what is going wrong.
>
> Upgrade of DNS should go easily, but when you start upgrading web or
> mail, you are talking about tens or hunderds of applications, you are
> very likely something goes wrong and you break a system that was
> working before.

        it seems that mail my daughter sent me from hotmail did not
        pass muster because it lacked a subject.  i was advised to
        portupgrade {or at least upgrade my spamblocker}.  i did
        this.  during the upgrade of either dovecot or spamassassin i
        was asked to kill one or both.  i figured a reboot would
        reinstantiate everything.  it may have; but things were not
        restarted correctly.

        bind9 is current; i am extremely careful with that; i just
        didn't realize that i've got to approach everything with the
        same caution.

> When you say you could not "get" to ethic, what do you mean?
>
> - Cannot ping?
>
> - Cannot ssh?
>
> - Cannot telnet port 22, 25, 80?
>
> - Cannot traceroute (if your station and the server are on different
>   LAN)?
>
> - Cannot ping another machine on your LAN?
>
> - Are you sure it was not your desktop that was faulty?

        my firewall was the give-away.  i run pfSense and it told me
        that the host was down.

        the real gotcha is that my KVM wires are not plugged in
        correctly.   so i could not even get to the serve until i
        messed with that.  when i was able to type at the console
        of my server, i did a therapeutic reboot.   ---altho, the was
        power-cycling my switch that really did the trick.

        i was about to call it a century when i tried mail.  mutt
        failed again; that turned out to be that dovecot had failed
        to restart.

        Now everything is working.  but it's only temporary.  back in
        the mid-90s a systems admin friend said that
        computers/networks/<<things>>  are always breaking
        down.  it's the sysadmin's job to do his best to keep things
        going.  i get an F- for that today/tonight.....   FWIW, i
        don't even pretend to be a syste,s admin!

> - Etc.
>
> You should make a diagnostic before trying to apply any solution.
>
> As the reboot of thw switch did it, to me it looks like a network
> issue: bad switch, bad cable, some highly infected machine on your LAN
> that is stressing the swtich, rather than a server/service issue.

        the power line was bent to the switch; but not that badly.
        [[i'm keeping a Printed list of things-to-do-before-i-hit-PANIC.]]

        appreciate your mail!

        gary

 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 7.79a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php