Matthew Seaman wrote:

On 31/03/2010 08:54:25, Fbsd1 wrote:
OK i want to write a man page from scratch. So lets say i want to use
/usr/share/man/man2/jail.2.gz as my starting sample. How do I convert
this .gz file to a plain text file so I can edit it with ee?

   % cp /usr/share/man/man2/jail.2.gz .
   % gunzip jail.2.gz
   % mv jail.2 myname.2
   % ee myname.2

And how do
I turn the edited text file back in to a man page .gz file?

To compress the groff source:

   % gzip myname.2

To render the groff source as ascii text (what the man(1) command does):

   % groff -mdoc -Tascii myname.2 | less

or

   % gzcat myname.2.gz | groff -mdoc -Tascii | less

In general though, you should keep the man page source uncompressed
while you're working on it and within the port; install it uncompressed
and leave it to the ports machinery to compress it after installation.

Getting closer but not there yet. Selected man jail to be my example of macro commands used. Did [gunzip jail.8.gz] and now I have jail.8 file.
How to I convert this file to native macro file that I can edit with ee?

After editing the macro file how to I convert it to format ready to compress? I want to test it with the man command.

When I do groff -mdoc -Tascii jail.8  | less
I get loads of  this message "mdoc warning: Empty input line #xxx.
If I look at man jail screen output I see each message corresponds to a blank line in the man page. Is this suppose to happen?