On Mon, 5 Apr 2010, S Roberts wrote:
Hello Masoom,

I have been using EasyBCD on Win7 + FBSD8 for some 6+ months now

That's great to hear.., Can you confirm that you started off with a
pre-installed windows 7 machine / single disk and then **added**
FreeBSD, please?

EasyBCD worked for me on a preinstalled Vista machine, adding FreeBSD 8. And of course Vista is just Win7 alpha.

Win7 is installed on part1, part2 is data drive so that bot OSes can
read/write do not want to use fusefs

first install Win7, then FreeBSD, then boot in Win7 and use EasyBCD to
add FreeBSD as another entry
remember to advise FreeBSD to not touch MBR.

Understood. So for your installation of FreeBSD, selecting "None Leave
Master Boot Record untouched" actually did work - and you did **NOT**
find that sysinstall still went ahead and messed with the mbr?

No problem for me.

Sorry for the questions, but I recall a recent thread where a few
people confirmed that this option does not behave as expected,
and folks ended up with broken windows mbrs.

There's a relatively rare bug in sysinstall, but even if there wasn't, you should still back up the existing MBR and the whole Windows partition before you add another OS.

For backup, you can use the FreeBSD livefs and dd, but clonezilla or partimage are faster. Clonezilla automatically saves a separate copy of the MBR, AFAIR.

http://www.clonezilla.org/
http://sysresccd.org/Main_Page