On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org> wrote:

>        Sites of parts of websites that have example C functions?
>        [continuing from the ^Subject.
>
>        I have googled around and found practically nothing; yet, wen
>        I was looking for a math function I found at least two
>        places.
>
>        Rather than re-inventing the wheel over and again, wouldn't
>        it be nice to have a library of all kinds of functions?
>        --For kernel use, yes, they would need to be BSD specific...
>
>        ideas?

When you install a lib in FBSD (and many other FLOSS OSs) it usually
installs a man page, so apropos and of course man will have it: man
sprintf, so the detailed information is usually there...

The tricky part is having like a table of contents of some sort
especially at the library level which is what _I think_ you are
referring to. For example, to answer the question ¿what library should
I use for X or Y need? . If you use Perl, you have the cpan search
engine (and others) wher you go llook for libs. For C it is many times
not tha obvious, nor is there a single repository of libraries for C
as there is for say Perl.

I find your question very interesting but sadly I have no direct
answer myself. I think is more of "a topic" thing in C. For example if
you are making a driver, you will usually be involved in mailing lists
related to that, and people will share X or Y lib secrets with you.
You will also hack someone else's code and look at the libs they are
using, and most importangly you will have books and other stuff that
will point to the use of those libs. Now whether there is a directory
of C libraries around, I don't think so, but if you find one, _please_
share it ;)

Best,
Alejandro Imass