----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua Lokken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 2:33 PM
Subject: Reverse name lookups

> Hello
>
> ***This is not a FreeBSD-specific issue!***
>
> I use ZoneEdit's dynamic DNS service to point to my domain, however,
> reverse lookups still point at my ISP.  At ZoneEdit, my page is
> telling me this:
>
> PTR Records:
> Contact your ISP and/or set up an ARPA zone for reverse DNS.
>
> I have contacted my ISP.  The best answer I've received is:
>
> "I'm not sure what you mean, but call back in 3 business days, and see
> if
> we were able to do that for you."
>
> So, I'd like to go to the next option, "/or set up an ARPA zone for
> reverse DNS."
> However, I've read and it's been suggested that unless I have two
> static IPs, I
> cannot manage my own DNS.  What do I need to do?  Thanks for any help.

Managing your own reverse-DNS requires you to have full control over your
DNS.  This means you need to run your own authoritative name server (for
your block of IP addresses), and your ISP has to be willing to delegate
control of DNS (forward and reverse) for that block of IPs to you.

Most ISPs won't do this unless you're paying for a business level connection
(2 Mbps DSL, T1, frame, etc) and have a block of IP addresses (at least a
/26) assigned to you.

In short, doing this for a single IP is not worth the hassle, nor will your
ISP go for it.

--
Matt Emmerton