Hello all,

I'm not sure if it's exactly "On Topic" (I bet you'll let me know!), but
here goes...

I work in technical support, for a FreeBSD based, Internet Appliance &
am after a way to gather some network quality information.

I'd like to run some commands, one after another, have the output(s)
added (appended) to a file, then, when all is complete, have that file
sent to my email address.  I can then compile the data & make some sense
of it, maybe...

Stuff like: -

hostname
uptime
ping -c 100 ftp.furrie.net
traceroute ftp.furrie.net

I'd like to push all the commands into the background & be able to log
off and let it do its business unattended.  Unfortunately, with my
lacking knowledge, so far I have managed this, (sad isn't it)...

(ping -c 10 ftp.furrie.net > /tmp/results && cat /tmp/results | mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED] &)

Even with an & at the end of this command, I do not get my prompt back
:-(

Please can somebody help me?  Even if it's just to give me another place
to ask my question...

Many Thanks Everyone!

Chris Phillips

PS.  I often write emails to [EMAIL PROTECTED], but rarely
send them, as I read my questions before sending & often find much
better results when googling with my questions.

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)