<snip>

> I was able to set the temperature of
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT by
> changing hex values in my ASL, but _CRT is hard coded
> whereas _TMP is
> set dynamically (in my ASL). There is also a problem that
> the value of
> _CRT is output by sysctl so I could watch the results of my
> changes, whereas _TMP is not. Which is not much help to you
> sorry.

I noticed that _TMP can't be modified through sysctl.

> > One thing I did notice, however, is when I compiled
> that file and got
> > two errors arising from:
> >
> > Store (Local0, Local0)
> >
> > where Local0 hadn't been defined in that part of the
> code.  I have no
> > idea how that came about, but it successfully compiled
> after I
> > commented out that statement.  (A bug in the
> original code, perhaps?)
> >

> What happens if you recompile an unmodified ASL?

I got those 2 errors plus a warning.

I believe
> there is an
> issue that there are 2 compilers, one by microsoft, one by
> intel and the
> intel one sticks to the acpi standard whereas the MS one
> allows bugs. If
> a manufacturer only tests their acpi tables with the MS one
> they can have bugs. You could
> always write to HP and tell them it is broken and ask them
> to fix it haha.

I bought the machine second-hand from a dealer that was going out of business.
It came with Vista installed so, presumably, the motherboard might have been
set accordingly.  Updating the BIOS might help, but I removed Vista when I
started tinkering with FreeBSD, which might make that operation a touch
difficult.

The main reason I'm concerned about this bug is that I'm planning on building
my own machine and possibly running FreeBSD on it for my research.  I'd hate to
put something together, install FreeBSD, and have nothing but bugs like this to
contend with.

BTW, I read through the entire thread.  I added the sysctl statements I
mentioned in my original message and now the error message appears only every
half hour.  It's not a proper fix but it reduces the aggravation of having it
displayed as often as it was before.

Thanks.

BMJ

<snip>

P.S.  The version of ACPI is the same one that came originally with the image
file that I downloaded off the FreeBSD site.