On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 07:09 +0200, xyz wrote:
> Those numbers mean the size in mo, of linux kernel (3.2mo), and freebsd
> kernel (33,9mo) for the same hardware configuration.

Linux is based more on a minimalist kernel with user mode modules - add
the modules and you'll find its larger, or take away the modules out of
the FreeBSD kernel to get a more accurate reading.

FreeBSD uses kernel mode modules; so it makes it faster, but it makes
the kernel "look" bigger.

And to stave off a flame session, these comments are very subjective and
many will argue on both sides, but the proof is in the pudding as far as
I'm concerned - I run both and my linux is CRAP by my reckoning. My
drivers on the linux break constantly, and render the system useless
without a reboot (and I'm NOT saying that it is anywhere near as bad as
Windows: if I only had a choice of the two the linux would win for
stability). My FreeBSD's have NEVER needed rebooting except for
extraordinary circumstances, and the top stats don't lie either.