On Sun, 2 May 2010, Carmel wrote:

On Sun, 2 May 2010 18:46:13 +0200
Tijl <t...@coosemans.org> articulated:

[snip]

Have you tested in between those and it only started to work after
libICE? Or did you rebuild all in one go?

Actually, first I rebuilt 'dbus' and rebooted the system. No success.

Then I rebuilt "xfce4-panel" and "xfce4-settings" and attempted to start
Xfce4 without success.

Finally, I rebuilt "libICE" as described above, rebooted the system and
started Xfce4 successfully.

I think the key is to delete the package before attempting to
build/install it. It might be picking up an old lib or some such think.
Lately that seems to be a common problem.

I pkg_deleted all three, rebuilt libICE (because it's a requirement for xfce4-settings) and then the other two... and it still has the problem.