On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:32 AM,  <p...@pair.com> wrote:
> in message
> <v2ia14066a01005051253y278a34fez7a135c85fe20d...@mail.gmail.com>,
> wrote Alejandro Imass thusly...
>>
> ...>
> Alejandro, how time & labour intensive is to set up Asterisk on a
> daily use laptop?  Could Asterisk not be used by itself for all VoIP

Ok, if you don't need dialplans, voicemails, and several extensions,
you don't need asterisk. Just install Skype client on FBSD (you will
need linux emulation to get the Skype client going), and purchase an
actual phone number with your area code from Skype, and some pre-paid
credit. That's it.... you will be receiving/making call from skype on
FBSD in no time.

Regardiong Asterisk it's actually very easy and without any prior
knowledge I was able in just about 4 days to make a complete
soft-phone based telephone system with 10 ekiga extensions, automated
menu (ivr) and the works (voice mail that is routed via e-mail) - the
works - just by installing from port and reading the free asterisk
book pdf you can download from many places (yes, the book is actually
free as in beer).

> needs per my superficial Asterisk understanding?

Just read the book.

> Was setting up Asterisk as simple as installing
> /usr/ports/net/asterisk-bristuff or /usr/ports/net/asterisk1{2,6}?

Yeap!
Alex