On Fri, 21 May 2010 20:47:10 -0700, Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org> wrote:
> anyway, this is thanks and an ACK mostly to polyt and roland.  i
> will get down and find the usb port, but if i did it now i'd
> never be able to haul myself back up.  they would find my
> bleached bones beside my 'puter, crouched and looking for that
> usb slot.

Oh, I had a similar problem, too: USB slot only on the back
of the PC, hard to reach, and that's why uncomfortable and
furthermore unusable.

My solution was to get an USB cable USB-A plug to USB-A socket,
quite simple, and have the USB socket (now on wire) directly
on the desk.

If you recognize you often need more than one USB slot, you
usually would decide to get an USB hub, also a good tool on
top of the desk.

One of the most comfortable solutions I've seen (and used)
is to have a USB slot (ot two, usually) on the keyboard. A
good example for this is the Apple keyboard, and of course
the Sun USB type 7 keyboard. This way, you can also attach
an USB mouse directly on the table, or have two slots for
removable media (e. g. for USB sticks, USB hard disks or
USB camera, or webcam, or USB steam engine).

Allthough most "modern" PCs have USB slots on their front,
it's still inconvenient to put them under the desk, allowing
a chair or your feet to kick (and maybe break) the USB
stick - I've already seen that happening LIVE. On the other
hand... who wants to put ugly designed PC minitowers onto
the desk? It's not that they look like an SGI Octane... :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany