I'm using ipfw2 to setup a firewall on 4.8-RC for my home network.  I used
the rule set at http://www.bsdtoday.com/2000/December/rc.firewall.current as
an example but am confused regarding the differences between setting rules
using "setup/established" and "keep-state/check-state".  I've read the ipfw
man page and understand that "setup/established" matches syn/ack bits in a
packet where "keep-state/check-state" actually creates a dynamic rule.  But
not being real knowledgeable about how IP packets are constructed, I'm not
sure what this means in the real world.

If I understand it correctly, the example at BSDToday basically uses
"setup/established" to allow traffic in for services that I allow.  So in my
case I would use it for FTP, SMTP, SSH, and HTTP.  Then the rule set uses
"keep-state/check-state" for connections originating from my internal
network to the outside world.  But why should I not use
"keep-state/check-state" for everything by adding my check-state rule near
the top and then adding the following rule for incoming services:

ipfw add allow ip from any to $inwr 21,22,25,80 keep-state

I've actually done this and it is working but I'd like to know if this is a
good or bad idea and why.

Thanks,

Drew