On Thursday 10 June 2010 15:04:53 Matthew Seaman wrote:

> The only other mechanism might be to tag each list e-mail with a unique
> value for each recipient in such a way that it is preserved in the
> message that mpcustomer.com's help system sends out.  That has severe
> problems of scale and load on the FreeBSD mail servers, but it might be
> possible.  There is a similar technique (whose name I have temporarily
> forgotten) that some mailing lists use where they tag the envelope
> sender address with the recipient name in order to identify addresses
> that are bouncing back the list e-mail.

Isn't that called VERP (variable envelope return path)? I agree - the load it
would impose isn't worth it. I'm just shocked that midphase care so little
about their reputation or the impression this is giving, on one of the more
widely-archived mailing lists, of their competence and diligence.

I'll shut up now.

Jonathan