On Jun 15, 2010, at 3:11 PM, Programmer in Training wrote:
> Quoting Chuck Swiger <cswi...@mac.com>:
>> Adobe supports Windows, MacOSX, Linux, and Solaris (from
>> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions ).  If it is  important to
>> you that Flash works well, you should either persuade  Adobe to provide a
>> FreeBSD version, or you should switch to using  one of the platforms on
>> which Flash is supported.
>
> I had little of the problems described in the original post (aside from
> needing an alias for killing flash, I never actually thought of making one
> until now). It doesn't change the fact that "Don't install it." isn't a valid
> option.

Evidently so, for some people.

> I also take issue with the "well use a supported OS" schtick.

I'm not sure that last word means what you think it means.  Try reading Adobe's
EULA:

"3.1 General Use. You may install and Use one copy of the Software on your
Compatible Computer.  See Section 4 for important restrictions on the Use of
the Software.

3.2 Server Use. This agreement does not permit you to install or Use the
Software on a computer file server.  For information on Use of Software on a
computer file server please refer to [ ... ]

4.1 Adobe Runtime Restrictions. You will not Use any Adobe Runtime on any
non-PC device or with any embedded or device version of any operating system.
For the avoidance of doubt, and by example only, you may not Use an Adobe
Runtime on any (a) mobile device, set top box (STB), handheld, phone, game
console, TV, DVD player, media center (other than with Windows XP Media Center
Edition and its successors), electronic billboard or other digital signage,
Internet appliance or other Internet-connected device, PDA, medical device,
ATM, telematic device, gaming machine, home automation system, kiosk, remote
control device, or any other consumer electronics device, (b) operator-based
mobile, cable, satellite, or television system or (c) other closed system
device. No right or license to Use any Adobe Runtime is granted for such
prohibited uses."

Are you running Samba or NFS filesharing?  Or is your machine a mini-ITX box
which might be considered an "Internet-connected device" rather than a normal
PC?  There's a reason why the FreeBSD precompiled packages can't include
Flash-- the project is forbidden from redistributing it.

Regards,
--
-Chuck