Quoting Polytropon <free...@edvax.de>:

As much as I am now a no-user of "Flash", allow me the
following comments.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:49:56 -0600, Programmer in Training <p...@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> wrote:
Almost all Internet video
has moved to flash as well (such as all the sermons on sermons.net
which my church uses).

That's all within transition. Currently, big video portals are
moving to HTML5, often including the wish to also use free and
open standards for their videos so they can access a bigger

That's a no-go, I have it on good authority that h.264 was chosen over Theora. That along with mpeg-la having put out a press release saying it won't charge royalties for "free" uses of some of it's patents several months ago[0], while I would love for Theora to have won out as the standard, once again corporate interest (this time a big push from Apple, from what I understand) has won out.

audience. Keeping things in "Flash" is a no-go. A main problem
of "Flash" is that is isn't compatible with the upcoming trend
to move to portable devices. Only HTML5 and compliant browsers
will be present on those platforms, and those who keep their
sites in "Flash" will be out of scope soon.

I've only seen some examples of HTML5 sites. My own reluctance to start coding with it is the fact that it's still open to tons of change.

HTML5 will be the future; "Flash" already is the past. Soon,
it won't be important anymore. Conforming to standards will
be the key to all those new platforms that customers are
interested in.

You mean the ones who don't mind being told what's best for them (think iPad)?

Flash is buggy, I'll give you that, but "Don't
install it." is not an option for a lot of people.

I had been using "Flash" in the past (on FreeBSD). It was so
annoying that I finally completely removed it. It has become
*the* choice of "professional web developers" to make their
sites unusable and finally unaccessible, as well as a big
annoyance of users, primarily due to its sheer overuse for
advertising purposes.

I never use flash where I'm able to avoid it. I have one client wanting to use it for a simple transition (with affects) on one spot in the front page. I personally won't use the stuff for website development and disallow those sorts of ads. Until HTML5 support is universal in all browser ports (there was mention of that not being the case) talk of HTML5 video verges on the pointless.

Yes, Flash is old news and has been for a while. Yes, Flash is not portable because Adobe is a jerk and many mobile/portable device makers won't support it. But that's all irregardless to the OPs question of bugginess on FreeBSD. If the Linux emulation isn't enough and there is no option but to switch to an entirely different platform, why even provide such an option? Linux emulation takes up a lot of resources (space wise on the drive).

--
Yours in Christ,

PIT
All original content (C) under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org
Please do not CC me. If I'm posting to a list it is because I am subscribed.