In the last episode (Jun 20), Caleb Stein said:
> Whenever I try running an application that relies on GTK+ or QT, I get
> that error message.  How should I fix this?

You must have upgraded your libpng port, and either the application or one
of the shared libraries it uses hasn't been rebuilt since then.  libpng.so.6
is the current version.  Run "ldd -a myapplication", and rebuild anything
that claims to depend on "libpng.so.5".

One way to minimize damage like this is to use either portupgrade or
portmaster to do updates for you.  Those programs can back up old versions
of shared libraries to /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg, so you won't get errors
like that.  Portupgrade will make a backup automatically, and so will
portmaster if you add -w to the commandline.

--
        Dan Nelson
        dnel...@allantgroup.com