On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 20:19:22 -0500
"J. Porter Clark" <j...@porterclark.com> wrote:

> 1. I'd like to be able to expand the list of choices in the
> boot menu (the menu with single user mode, safe mode, etc.) to
> include booting in any of several different environments, e.g.,
> home wired, home wireless, work wired, work wireless.  Hacking
> the FORTH code isn't entirely out of the question, but before
> I even try it, I need to know how I could tell the system to
> switch among different rc.conf files (if that's even possible)
> from the loader.  Offhand, I don't see a mechanism for doing so.
> Cleverer ideas welcome.

Perhaps you could have your menu in an rc script (or even auto-detect
from one), and then have it touch a file or something to signal to
other scripts.

rc.conf is a shell script that sourced for each rc script so you could
have entries like

[ -f /tmp/home-wireless ] && enable_foo=yes

to determine which daemons start.