Henrik Hudson writes:

>  > Or just make one large partition.  Not on a server, but I don't
>  > see much reason for using multiple partitions on a laptop.
>
>  Multiple partitions still isn't a bad idea if you ever have to
>  fsck and even on a desktop / laptop I usually mount /tmp as
>  noexec. (note: installworld requires exec in /tmp, so you will
>  have to remount /tmp if you use that). Also, it's easier to
>  recover if you can boot single user mode and run a quick fsck on
>  / when it's small. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it's
>  easier.

        1) The preferred backup method uses dump.
        2) dump works on entire partitions.
        2a) It makes little sense to back up 500 gbytes when all you
need to preserve is 5 gbytes.
        3) If you regularly need to dump more than a single partition,
quite a few people have scripts they will probably be willing to
share.

                                Robert Huff