On 07/04/10 16:43, bsd wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to build a global backup solution for couple of strategic servers
(7) based on two operating systems :

- FreeBSD (6 - 7 // soon 7 - 8)
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

These servers are hosting some strategic components mainly related to DNS
infrastructure and databases.

For the moment I am backing up these server using network based backup solution:

- A "duplicity" based solution which backs up key directories in my
infrastructure on a remote FTP server provided by my hosting company.
- A "dump" of some key components which I am doing on regular basis for FreeBSD
servers.
- Duplicity is also used for the Ubuntu servers.
- Databases are replicated "live" on a remote server using "slony" for the most
strategic ones (Postgres DB) and using mysql dump export for MySQL.

• I am not a 100% sure these solutions will allow me to restart rapidly from a
crash, specially for Ubuntu servers.
• I would like to know which solution(s) you have deployed at what cost for
what results ?

I am actually considering couple of different solutions

- SAIT solution and backula.
- Disk based solution (maybe also with backula).
…

I have couple of servers that will reach their end of life that could be
recycled as backup solution at a very convenient price…

I wrote a simple shell-based solution for this problem some time ago. It (and FreeBSD
instructions) can be found:

   http://www.tundraware.com/Software/tbku/

I am able to recover a production server (DNS, dhcp, http, sendmail, etc...) in under
30 minutes using this technique.