On 14 jul 2010, at 22:18, Ed Flecko wrote:

> Peter,
> I don't quite understand what you mean "I think you're better off
> creating a fresh jail, and install apache via the ports collection.
> for the templates to work you need to specify all dependencies by
> hand."
>

> Are you suggesting NOT using ezjail?

No, that's not what I'm suggesting. from the start:

first thing is to create the base:

(one time)
ezjail-admin update -P -i

After reconfiguring the services on the host machine (one time), you can add an
alias to your existing ip address (see ifconfig how to to that)

then create a jail:
ezjail-admin create <hostname> <ipaddress>

assuming your ezjail.conf is oke. replace hostname with a name you want to
identify the jail with, and the ipaddress should be replaced by the alias ip
address in the previous step.

You will then have a good jail. You can start this jail with
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ezjail.sh onestart (or start, if you edited /etc/rc.conf)
and access the running jail with:

ezjail-admin console <hostname>

after that you go to the ports collection and install apache, including all its
dependencies (which are a lot)

cd /usr/ports/www/apache22
make all install clean

jsut like you would do on a non-jailed machine.

> Or do you mean just install
> Apache into a jail (created by ezjail) and don't worry about creating
> a "template" like this website shows? How would I do that? I'm new to
> the whole "jail" thing so it's a little confusing. I like the idea of
> using the ezjail, because is seems more "idiot proof" for a relative
> newbie.

ezjail is good.

> :-)
>
> Also, what do you mean "for the templates to work you need to specify
> all dependencies by hand"? I'm not stuck on following this website,
> but IF the steps are fairly accurate, it seems to be a good roadmap
> and it doesn't mention anything about specifying any dependencies by
> hand.

That's what I read from the creators website:

The default flavour demonstrates how to pkg_add some prefetched packages. Since
no remote fetching of missing packages is requested, you need to provide all
package dependencies yourself.

--
Peter Boosten
http://www.boosten.org