On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 05:03:07 -0400, <per...@pluto.rain.com> wrote:

When installing from the 8.1-RELEASE memstick, what is the correct
selection for Installation Media?  I'm not finding any mention of
memstick in the Handbook.

You want USB (assuming you did put the image on an actual memstick and not a CD or some other such oddity), but you may have tried that and had the some problem I was.

I just did a memstick install yesterday and it wouldn't let me select USB as the install media, it said not found or something, but stumbled on the simple fix:

When it comes time to select the media, go to the 'View/Set various installation options' screen instead. Press up-arrow a couple times to get to 'Re-scan devices' and press the space bar. In my case, it happens so quick that it doesn't look like anything actually happens, but it did really do something. Press Q to go back to the install menu, and go ahead to 'Media' and pick USB. It should then say 'Using USB device: da0a'.

HTH,

Brian