On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

I dumped/restored the system to ad8 yesterday and booted from it.
The system *did* boot but (alas) the /dev/ads1a(f) slices were mounted. So, the system loaded the *old* root partitions (from the first drive). After googling and reading I think I need *boot0cfg* but I'm a bit scary to ruin my new boot (ad8) drive.

So, what is the exact syntax to make my system not only boot from ad8, but also mount the /deb/ad8s1 slice as root slice?

I'd try to set

rootdev="disk8s1a"

in /boot/loader.conf in /dev/ad8s1a since boot loader and kernel seem to be read from there.

Before editing, please interrupt the boot sequence into command prompt mode and enter the command "lsdev" to have a look how the disks are enumerated by the boot loader.

Best regards

Konrad Heuer
GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, kheu...@gwdg.de