On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:15:43 +0000, Alexander Best <arun...@freebsd.org> wrote:
> hi there,
>
> just wanted to ask if there's a way to change the default US keymap for
> /boot/loader to something else?
>
> i have
>
> options               UKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP
> makeoptions   UKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP="german.iso"
>
> in my kernel conf, however this doesn't seem to apply to /boot/loader.

I have noted this behaviour already in FreeBSD 7; in 5, I had
both german settings for AT and USB keyboard - WORKING. Maybe
support has been dropped? Is ignored? Hmmm...

Anyway, I never noticed the boot loader was interested in that
setting. It became active when booting into single user mode
("boot -s", which had to be entered according to the US keymap).

This is the whole set of options for the kernel:

        options         SC_DFLT_FONT
        makeoptions     SC_DFLT_FONT=iso
        options         ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP
        makeoptions     ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP="german.iso"
        options         UKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP
        makeoptions     UKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP="german.iso"

I also included the ISO font for the syscons driver so the german
specific letters could be displayed.

Coming back to your basic question: I don't think there's a way to
modify the early stage loader keymap.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany