On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 08:26:11AM +0700, "C. Bergstr?m" wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >ok guys,
> >i have been waiting for [a] a better/faster/more generally useful
> >computer as well as =mostly= cheaper unit.  i figured i would wait
> >until fall to ask, but it's close enough.
> >
> >can i watch a streamed movie on am atom [[[1.6ghz intel]]] chip.
> >
> (Disclaimer I work for a commercial compiler company)
>
> If you experience problems with performance of Atom I would generally
> not blame the processor.  There are *zero* very well tuned compilers for
> Atom that I'm aware of.  Most are content that the compiler works good
> enough(tm) and it's difficult (impossible) to get the low level timing
> data details out of Intel.  Unless you're hand writing inline asm
> (*cough* ffmpeg) then it's certainly possible the code isn't optimized
> well enough.  Depending on what else the processor is busy with, codec
> type and video size it should certainly possible to stream an "average"
> sized movie with no problem.  Now can it handle Blu-ray I doubt it...

        i am not planning on watching a movie that is on a DVD-RW but
        via [say] kmplayer via video stream.  and rather than the std
        'movie-length' of 120 minutes, an hour or less streamed by PBS.

        with my 2.4ghz Dell loaded at its usual 0.25 - 0.4, and using
        kmplayer or vlc, the video is jerky or hangs for several seconds.

        i probably should get-real and use whatever notebook i buy for
        what i originally intended it for: as a small and usable computer
        than can produce understandable speech.

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 7.83a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php