On Sat, 21 Aug 2010, Fred Boatwright wrote:

.xinitrc
xrdb
xsetroot -solid gray &
xterm -geometry +0-100 &
xconsole -geometry -0+0 -fn 5x7 &
#exec olvwm   #complained about a missing font
exec fvwm

Before trying a different window manager, try good old twm.

xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

If you're running hal, those InputDevice sections aren't needed.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

These InputDevice definitions are also unnecessary with hal.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "HP"
        ModelName    "2009"
        ModeLine     "1600x900" 108.0 1600 1624 1704 1800 900 901 904 1000
        Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

Modelines are... well, avoid them unless they are required.

Section "Device"
       ### Available Driver options are:-
       ### [arg]: arg optional
       #Option     "ShadowFB"                 # [<bool>]
       #Option     "DefaultRefresh"           # [<bool>]
       #Option     "ModeSetClearScreen"       # [<bool>]
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "vesa"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "NV44 [GeForce 6200 A-LE]"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

The nVidia driver should produce better results than vesa.

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth  24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes     "1600x900"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Finally, starting with a more common resolution like 1024x768 may help. Get it working first, then polish one thing at a time so you can tell what works.

Is there is somewhere I can park the log file that you would have access
to?  I don't know of any way to provide a link to it here.

http://pastebin.com/ is popular.

The log file says: (--) using VT number 9.  This does not exist in
/etc/ttys and I didn't find anywhere in the Handbook chapter that says
it needs to be added.

xorg creates it automatically. It's the alt-F9 to switch from console to X.

The log file generated by Xorg -configure appears to have everything
there is to know about the monitor being used.  These values were
manually put in the xorg.conf file.  However, the log file says:
(II) VESA(0): Not using mode "1600x900" (no mode of this name)
However, the xorg.conf test did work.

vesa may not be able to handle that resolution. 1024x768 is a safe starting value.