On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 04:13:17PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 06:37:36AM -0500, Depo Catcher wrote:

> > >   this looks very interesting, thank you.  the catch is that it
> > >   depends on X.  i don't have X installed on the server. .....
> > >

> > ssh?
> >

>       sure.  for simple things.  but i need to get X going to get my UPS
>       set up.   also, to properly upgrade things.  i was upgrading via
>       ssh and something broke.  it took an hour of messing around to get
>       ethic back up, fsck'd , and mail working.

You just said two things that seem to contradict each other. You said you need
to get X going to get the UPS set up, but earlier you said you don't have X
installed on the server?

Why would you need X to "properly upgrade things?" The upgrading of both the
OS and ports works primarily with command-line tools. Do you realize that you
can
make more than one ssh connection to a server in case you want e.g. one shell
to make run programs in and another to keep an eye on things.

If you don't have X set up on the server, you should use ssh (or telnet if you
have a trusted network). If you do have X set up on the server, you can use
the net/vnc port to view the server's X11 screen on another machine. And ssh
can also do X forwarding.

Roland