Matthias Apitz skrev 2010-08-23 09:08:

Hello,

I've to re-install my laptop with some Windows version (Vista or Windows
7) with disk encryption. Of course I will go on to work in FreeBSD
9-CURRENT and KDE3 as desktop. Please, don't ask me why I have to put Windows
below :-)

I have some questions:

From the point of view of performance in FreeBSD, what would be better, Vista or
Win7?

Win7 has much better performance.

Any recommendation for the virtualisation software for best performance?

I'm having a dualboot machine, win7 freebsd 8.0, and on top of freebsd I use VirtualBox for virtualisation.

/Leslie

Is there any tool in the ports to benchmark the disk i/o performance and
compare the situation between now (FreeBSD native) and later (FreeBSD in
a VM)?

Thanks in advance

        matthias