the problem is not which version of mkfs (ext2fs) you use.
the problem is that BSD only handle ext2fs partitions with 128b inodes,
while default value is 256.
when running mkfs/newfs, be sure to specify -I 128

also, I won't recommand ntfs.
but, ntfs "works" correctly under BSD and Linux.
so, if you just want the partition to be read/writeable on both BSD and
Linux, and don't wan't to use 128b inodes, nor ext2, you may wanna consider
using fat (except the file size limit thing, it works great), or ntfs (quite
ugly, but still working)

Samuel Martín Moro
{EPITECH.} tek4
CamTrace S.A.S