On 3/22/2003 at 2:17 PM Bruce Campbell wrote:

|Some more test results:
|
|22 Mar 2003 - test with RAID 5 with 4 * WD 200GB with Write Cache disabled

|*succeeded*. Write Cache can be disabled through the 3ware BIOS, or the
|3ware
|web management tool. Raw write performance to the array dropped from
|30000KBytes/Second to 4500KBytes/Second, however this did not impact the
|test
|significantly, as the test involved copying data via an NFS mount on a 100

|MBit/second network. The effective speed of the NFS copy dropped from
|around
|5000 KBytes/Second to about 4500 KBytes/Second with Write Cache disabled.
|
|Thread here:
|
|http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/mail_archive/200211/msg00056.html
|
|suggests firmware/driver mismatches can cause trouble, and someone
|else who had trouble found turning off write cache fixed it.
|

|All my info on this problem being kept here:
|
|http://www.freebsd.uwaterloo.ca/twiki/bin/view/Freebsd/BackupServerProblem

Thanks for your follow-up, but I'd caution you regarding the serendipitous
"it's working if I do this" aspect of your discovery.  Those "fixes" have a
nasty habit of disappearing when something else changes in the system....

I have switched over to RHLinux for the server using the 3Ware card, which
is ironic because I left RHLinux when I switched to FreeBSD a year or so
ago.  :-)  I'd much prefer to run my RAID under FreeBSD, but I prefer to
use supported hardware even more.  The 3Ware card is a high-end,
high-performance IDE RAID card; as such, I am rather surprised that it is
not properly supported under FreeBSD.....