Would you believe me if I said a script I use daily went awry?

Is there a list of the proper permission modes for things in
/usr/local to get a working system back, aside of starting over?  Is
there a better way?  I've already tried and "upgrade" from the 8.1 cd,
which doesn't seem to have affected /usr/local permissions much (which
sort of makes sense), as well as a portupgrade -akfO, which didn't
seem to have much traction either.  Symptoms: XOrg gives some rather
uninteresting info and hangs while still in text mode.  Sudo compalins
about needing chroot, etc. etc.

Thanks,
Steve