On 08/31/10 14:44, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
Hello.

Suppose I have an executable which I need to invoke repeatedly (e.g. to
run tests in a makefile).
This executables spend most of its time loading (rather than
processing), due to the need of several huge shared libraries.

I'd welcome an hint on how to speed this up.
Possible thing would be to "cache" these shared libraries (and possibily
the executable too) in memory, so that any invocation after the first is
faster.
Is this possible at all?

Normal file system caching will cover this case (unless you have very little memory available). The only other thing you might do to speed this up is prebinding / prelinking but if you are often rebuilding the project it might not help.