Il 09/07/10 20:26, Torbjorn Granlund ha scritto:
Is the any PCIe SAS controller that is supported by FreeBSD 8.1 that I
can purchase today?  The controller should preferably be low-profile.
RAID is not needed since I have just one disk, but if only RAID
controllers are available, I can live with that.

I have never seen a non-RAID SAS controller in my life: notice I'm not saying mean they don't exist, but everyone I used was RAID capable.
That said, I'm using:

Adaptec SAS RAID 3405
a...@pci0:2:14:0: class=0x010400 card=0x02bb9005 chip=0x02859005 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Adaptec Inc'
    device     = 'AAC-RAID RAID Controller'
    class      = mass storage
    subclass   = RAID

Adaptec SAS RAID 3805
a...@pci0:4:14:0: class=0x010400 card=0x02bc9005 chip=0x02859005 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Adaptec Inc'
    device     = 'AAC-RAID RAID Controller'
    class      = mass storage
    subclass   = RAID

Intel SRCSASJV
m...@pci0:2:0:0: class=0x010400 card=0x10068086 chip=0x00601000 rev=0x04 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'LSI Logic (Was: Symbios Logic, NCR)'
    device     = 'SAS1078 PCI-X Fusion-MPT SAS'
    class      = mass storage
    subclass   = RAID

I've also used a couple of HPs in the past: I think it was a P400, but I don't have access to those machines any more.

Never had any problems with any of these; only note: I could not get access to HP management via FreeBSD, but things might possibly have changed since then.

N.B. I'm using 7.x, but I see no reason why 8.1 should be more troublesome.

 bye
        av.