On 22-9-2010 21:35, Matthew Seaman wrote:
On 22/09/2010 20:04:25, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
You're certainly not the only one liking CUPS. I long hesitated to use
it, but once I'd decided to do so, I wouldn't go back to lpr. No way.
It's very easy to set up and does a great job. CUPS is OK but most
FreeBSD people don't seem to think so. I don't get it.
CUPS is really nice *when it works*.  If you're lucky and have managed
to buy the right sort of printer hardware, and the Gods are smiling upon
you, then CUPS will serve you well.
The list of supported hardware is very very long, so this part shouldn't be so hard.
On the other hand, when CUPS is bad, it is truly awful.  Excessively
hard to debug; impossible to fix without Guru-level powers.  One of
those "No user serviceable parts inside" sort of things.
This might be true. I guess this is a valid reason not to use it if you want to be able to debug things yourself _AND_ if you are a code guru.
CUPS works brilliantly when I plug my printer's USB cable directly into
my Mac.  But I've never yet managed to print to exactly the same printer
via CUPS when it is plugged into my FreeBSD server.
Hmm, strange. CUPS works very well when I use a linux server, but it also works very well on my main server, now running OpenSolaris-b134. I would not want to be offensive, but could it be something inside the FreeBSD code that makes it harder to function w/ CUPS? It really is a pity, because it really is very easy to set printers up _AND_ share them over you LAN at the same time.