On Sep 24, 2010 10:54am, Rick Miller <vmil...@hostileadmin.com> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Adam Vande More amvandem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:41 AM, vrwmil...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Is it possible to take a port, make a package of it and put it in the

>> packages directory of my own media?

> Sure it's easy. When build a port you can issue a make package command, or

> you can use pkg_create to create packages from installed ported. A common

> approach to this is build all your updates in a jail, make packages of them,

> then delete package from the host and install the newly built ones from the

> jail. Very small, if any downtime. You can use the jail to create pkg's

> for a custom repository too.

I've created the package and copied it to the networked media. How do

I edit the INDEX file so that it knows how to get the file?

I did figure out one way to get this to work. I copied the entry for the port from the ports index file into the packages index file and it worked. Whether or not it's an appropriate way, I am unsure.