Have you actually installed KDE and/or Gnome?  I don't see that step
included in what you say you have done.
If you have not you will of course need to do that before you can
configure either of them.
For Gnome you will probably want the x11/gnome2 port/package while for
KDE you will probably want either x11/kde3 or x11/kde4 (depending on if
you want KDE 3.x or KDE 4.x)
I install Gnome via the DVD package. I believe it's gnome-desktop-... (sorry, need to be back home to get the actual package name). I tried to find gnome2 in the dvd package list (not the ports), but it's not listed there. Would it come under another name?