Hello Steve:

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 01:09 PM, Steve Warwick wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks to all of you that replied so promptly to my question. However I
think I failed to outline the situation clearly enough so with the responses
so far in mind...

Question was: Is it possible for FreeBSD to shut itself down and restart for
no reason?

- The "new server in question has been running at another facility without
any problems for about 4 months so I am assuming it is "burned in" and
stable.

- The logs (var/log/messages, /var/log/httpd-error.log) do not show any
obvious issues such as kernel panics, just a hard restart (/ not dismounted
correctly)

- As far as I can tell the box has not been exploited -- if someone we
restarting the machine via software then / would dismount correctly.

Further thoughts, suggestions?

I would seriously suspect my provider at this point. Are they supplying you with AC power straight from the wall, or do you have a UPS of some sort in line between the power source and your server? If you're running straight, you may want to consider getting a UPS that has either SNMP or syslog facility so you can trap out any alarms if/when the AC from the wall fails.

Mike