El 05/10/2010 06:51 p.m., Chad Perrin escribió:
On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 10:12:31PM +0000, Michel Talon wrote:

Another thing to consider is the ease of maintaining the software on
the machine. My personal opinion is that Ubuntu (more generally Debian)
is light years ahead of FreeBSD in this domain.

How is it "light years ahead" of FreeBSD for "the ease of maintaining the
software on the machine"?  I'm curious about what you mean.

I share Michel Talon´s mind in regards to "the ease of maintaining the software on the machine" but I find myself inclined to rpm ... that´s why I use Mandriva on my notebooks/netbooks.

RPM has come a really long way since it´s inception and has proven to be an incredible flexible tool to do the task it´s meant to do (I can write a single .spec file and create as many rpms out of a single tarball as I see it fits my needs, package granularity they call it... just take a look at the mandriva repos to see what I mean).

In my personal experience I have found that creating, maintaining and handling rpm packages is a lot easier than creating ports or keeping the software up to date using packages.

Best Regards
Gonzalo Nemmi