On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Harald Weis <ha...@free.fr> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 03:04:00PM +0200, C. P. Ghost wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Programmer in Training
>> > I will tell Adobe to provide a FreeBSD-native release, though it would be
>> > nice to know I won't be the only one. I'm actually going right now to do
>> > so.
>>
>> Good luck with that. Adobe doesn't care about FreeBSD. Never did,
>> and probably never will. They don't even care about 64-bit Linux users...
>>
>> If you absolutely need Flash on FreeBSD, I'd suggest you install
>> VirtualBox, and inside VirtualBox a Flash-supported OS, like
>> OpenSolaris (that's what I do when I absolutely need Flash support).
>>
>> It's not the cleanest solution, but at least, I don't have to clutter
>> my FreeBSD system with A LOT of Linux dependencies just to
>> get a barely working Flash.
>>
>> -cpghost.
>
> I followed your advice when I discovered your message.
> No problem to install the opensolaris guest and the flash player.
> Video seems okay, but there is no sound and I cannot find out why.
> Needless to say that audio works fine on the host which is still on
> 8.0-RELEASE-p4 for the time being. I can't imagine that this
> could be the reason.

Yes, I remember there was a sound problem with the last official
release of OpenSolaris (2009.06). But this was not related to
VirtualBox, it was a configuration issue with OpenSolaris itself.
I installed OSS drivers manually in osol, and that fixed the problem
for me.

I guess that updating or installing a newer snv version would help,
even without having to mess around with OSS. The latest snv would
thus be snv_147 on OpenIndiana, but I haven't tested it yet:

http://openindiana.org/download/

Good luck. ;-)

> Thank you in advance for any help.
> Harald Weis