On Wed, 13 Oct 2010, Polytropon wrote:

Correct. If you disable HAL, and your X is configured to run *WITH*
HAL, it won't run anymore. Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (and if not
present, create it) to make X work *WITHOUT* HAL.

How it is to be done is described here:

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html

I've followed only parts of this thread, and there are multiple problems. First is installing X on a server. Second is a KVM switch, many of which are problematic. Next is that the KVM converts USB to PS/2, which... well, maybe it's fine. Finally, a "jumpy mouse" problem with moused on console screams that it's the KVM, not moused or USB or xorg config.

My suggestion would be to *not* install X on a server. If it's really required, use an actual keyboard and monitor on that server for those times when ssh -X/-Y aren't enough, and avoid the KVM.

If you use a USB mouse, set moused_enable="NO", as the USB subsystem
will call moused with the correct settings automatically.

USB mice cause moused to be run anyway, but there are differences. If you want switching between X and console to be fast, enable moused.