On Sat, 16 Oct 2010, Arthur Barlow wrote:

Recently I did my usual ports upgrade by using portsnap .  The "pkg_version"
program shows that "automake-1.9" and "automake-1.10" and no longer current,
but for some reason the message "comparison failed" shows up when I check
the ports versions.  I've tried "pkgdb -u" to update the database, but I
still get this message each time I run pkg_version.  I've also done the
"portsclean -DD" program, but the warning is still there.  How do I clean
this up?

"Comparison failed" means you have an installed port that no longer exists in the ports tree. There's no way to compare the installed version to the (nonexistent) ports tree version.

It's harmless, but you can use pkg_delete(1) to remove those obsolete installed automake ports.