On 20/10/10 04.29, Gary Kline wrote:

        $150 is seriously in my price range [!]  But what about the
        optical drive?  If I can buy one on sale and install FBSD from a
        CD or DVD, do all optivcal drive fit all notebooks?

        With a few things that I probably will buy.  An optical, a 16 or
        32G SSD ...&c.)  So if there is a fire-sale at Costco or
        <<wherever>>  for an HP 9" or 10  Atom notebook, will I be able
        to use another vendor's optical drive?

An optical drive will propably not fit in side a 9" or 10" notebook (netbook)...

If you are going for a netbook I'd go for an external USB optical drive - all netbooks that I've come across can boot from external usb medias.

Personally I prefer to install stable FreeBSD from USB memory stick. Since 8.0 FreeBSD has shipped a "memstick" disk image that nicely fits into a 1G USB memory stick.

See: http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/8.1/FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img

/Uffe