On Sun, 31 Oct 2010, Tim Dunphy wrote:

So I tried referring to the mount by the IP address rather than the
DNS name, and that fixed it.. I suppose I could setup the order in
which the services load in /etc/rc.d/ by pre-pending each one with
numbers (i.e. 00netif 01named 02syslogd...etc etc).

Changing that order is not easy, there are internal dependencies. Forcing
the startup to wait for DHCP in /etc/rc.conf may be enough:

ifconfig_re0="SYNCDHCP"

re0 used for example, change to whatever interface you have.

oh ok, thanks good thing I saw this before I got to long in this
process. I backed up the /etc/rc.d directory and started re-ordering
things like this:

000netif
001netoptions
002routing
003network_ipv6

[Please don't top-post, it makes responding more work.]

Look at the PROVIDE and REQUIRE keywords in those files. They aren't executed in filename order.

Actually this machine isn't on DHCP, it's statically assigned. My
basic goal is to get the box to the point where it can resolve DNS
before it mounts the contents of /etc/fstab...

I thought mountlate would be late enough. It may depend on your network card, some are slow to wake up or associate.