On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 08:32:11PM -0400, Chris Brennan wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Chad Perrin <per...@apotheon.com> wrote:
>
> So are there plans to get 7x into ports? I would love to go back to Chrome
> as a browser ... I find Firefox so clunky now! :D

Well . . . I have no idea what plans there are for updating the port,
since I'm not the port maintainer for Chromium.  On the other hand, 5.x
is still smother and nicer than Firefox in many, many ways.  The real
limitations for Chromium are the restrictions that apply to extension
development.  If those restrictions don't really affect you, if for
instance you don't care about vi-like keybindings and don't use KB SSL
Enforcer on Chromium or HTTPS Everywhere on Firefox (so you don't care
about the fact that Chromium's extension system limits KB SSL Enforcer's
functionality so that it leaks data that should have been encrypted),
then you could start using Chromium on FreeBSD now.  Just install it from
ports.

I'm not *too* worried about getting the most up-to-date version of my
browser, as long as the version I'm using doesn't have security
vulnerabilities addressed in later versions, unless there is a specific
feature I need.  In this case, there *are* some specific features I want,
features for extension development that should fix some of the flakiness
of Vimium.  Your mileage may vary, of course.

I'm basically going back to using Firefox, after figuring out how to get
Vimium installed (but not operating properly), I think.  5.x just doesn't
support what I need, and I don't have the time and specific skills needed
to submit updates to the port myself.