I'm running 4.8RC1, I have a ~345Gb drive (RAID), that I am partitioning into 43Gb chunks (8 of them).. I'm using sysinstall.. on my last chunk, it shows "X" as the partition name and the rest is ok. The other partitions are amrd0s1e,f,g,h,a,b,d.. Am I out of "letters"? What about "i"? What can I do to fix this?

The partitions within a FreeBSD slice are numberd from a to h, where c is always reserved for the complete disk.
So you will need two (or more) slices. Then create up to 7 (abdefgh) partitions within each slice.

Ciao
Siegbert