In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 342, Issue 1, Message: 14
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 19:49:08 -0600
Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongo...@gmail.com> wrote:
 > On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 6:49 AM, Da Rock
 > <freebsd-questi...@herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:

 > >> I can't seem to get my head on straight with the realtime scheduling in
 > >> FBSD despite all my googling. Can someone give me a pointer to the latest
 > >> info? As far as I can tell FBSD has it, but only root(?) can use it?
 > >>
 > >> I'm interested in who can use it, and how to allow a user to obtain the
 > >> realtime access.
 >
 > There's an ongoing discussion/debate between two very knowledgeable
 > and talented developers (plus a supporting cast) regarding the
 > real-time support in FreeBSD; it's happening on freebsd-arch@:
 >
 > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2010-December/010835.html
 >
 > I suggest giving it a read if you are planning on deploying some
 > real-time process (or are interested in reading about FreeBSD
 > internals from some very knowledgeable people).

Brandon, thanks for the pointer; I love it when those guys talk dirty :)

Rock, I think that thread well explains why only root may assign rtprio.

It's encouraging seeing rtprio get some oil; realt...@freebsd.org has
been all but dead for years, its latest message scheduling euthanasia:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-realtime/2010-November/000035.html

cheers, Ian