On 22/12/2010 11:15, Indexer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to make a FreeBSD based router sometime soon. I would like to be able
> to do port based vlanning on the router, so that a client computer that plugs
> into that socket is "dumb" to the vlans' existance.
>
> IE
>
> em0 - untagged
> em1 - vlan 1
> em2 - vlan 2
>
> Is what i want to achieve (as a simple example). This way i can use unmanaged
> switches on em2, and all clients behind that are to the router on vlan2
>
> How does one go about this on freebsd.

In /etc/rc.conf:

ifconfig_em1="up -vlanhwtag" # You may or may not want hwtag -- try both
vlans_em1="vlan1"
ifconfig_em2='up -vlanhwtag"
vlans_em2="vlan2"

create_args_vlan1="vlan 1"
ipv4_addrs_vlan1="192.168.12.34/24"

create_args_vlan2="vlan 2"
ipv4_addrs_vlan2="192.168.56.78/24"

The em0 i/f should be configured as usual.  This will create virtual
interfaces vlan1 and vlan2 which you can apply firewall rules to etc.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
JID: matt...@infracaninophile.co.uk               Kent, CT11 9PW