On 12/24/10 19:37, Victor Sudakov wrote:
Da Rock wrote:

Doesn't the rc.d script run as root initially and then a method (default
flags, etc) is used to change the owner to a nobody (restricted
privilege user)? Just my 2c, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

That is probably correct, rc.subr does "su -m $user", but the login
class is not applied there, nor is the users's shell called.

Exactly. Which means that you'd have to adapt root's env because root's
shell would be called(?).
In this case, how do I limit the variables's visibility only to the
particular daemon (svnserve) or particular user (svn)?

PITA, but as an alternative couldn't all the keytabs be stored in the
same _secure_ location? Then a global env could be used.
I really don't know what the security implications will be if
/etc/krb5.keytab is readable by anyone besides the root user? Do you
have a clue about it? There are other services' keys stored there
besides svn (host/*, cvs/* etc).

At the risk of getting laughed off stage, and pulling in yet another service, what about ldap? I believe there is supposed to be a way to store keytabs in ldap, which theoretically would mean only the particular services would be able to access their keytabs.