On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> If there are any people who are into maintaining web logs/blog, this
> might be _the_ place to ask.  O/wise, type 'd' now.
>
> One thing I've heard several times is that blogging is a good way of
> promoting one's own books.  (I've got at least three books either
> published or to-be-published. [[ ... .]])  Now, outside this list
> nobody knows me--and that's fine,

WAIT! Who's Gary Kline?

> except that  with a just published
> ebook, it's time to make my name and ebook public.  Before I rush
> out and sign up with some blogging websites, would be be better to
> use a FBSD port and do it myself?
>
> Ill be open about this: I'm still not _entirely_ sure whata blog is.
> But I'm a fast study :)
> If there are better places to ask about web logs, URL's please... .
>
> gary
>
> PS: Any reason why nobody here has read my ebook?  It is for geeks
> and about open source stuff, so, like , v'mon, people

a Blog is a website ... think wordpress, blogger.com or livejournal.com just
to name a few .... personally, I'm an lj lifer, that's all I've ever used.
That being said ... if there is a port it would be something like workpress
(and/or joomla and the ilk). which will just do what you can do yourself by
grabbing the sources from their perspective websites and install yourself in
about 10 minutes. Very easy to do.

If you want to promote some of your written work ... get a domain and set
one of these up for yourself. My personal opinion says that if you've set up
a domain to promote a book yourself vs using something like
blogger.com/livejournal.com/wordpress.com (yes they will give you your very
own blog, free of charge under their domain). In my eyes, these look very
unprofessional. This is an argument I've had with my roommates side business
on more then one occasion ... usually after he wonders why his business
generates about 1 client/mo.

At the end of the day it's what you want to put out of pocket for the domain
and hosting.

C-